Saturday, August 28, 2010

Favourite Summer Meal

I love Italian food. I know, right? Who doesn’t? I work with a man from Italy and I have learned quite a bit about Italian dishes. He has made this for me a few times at work and has shared his secrets for success with this dish.

Its very simple, with very few ingredients, but the taste to me is pure summer. It is also quick and cheap to make (especially if you have an over-producing zucchini plant in the garden) so its a dish I make often for myself. D wont eat much pasta himself but that just leaves more for me. :) 

Zucchini and Pasta for Two 

What you need:
1-2 small zucchinis cut lengthwise and then sliced into thin half-moons. 
1 handful of Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1-2 Tablespoons of good olive oil (by good I mean one you like!)
2 portions of your favourite pasta (I’ve used bucatini, rigatoni and spaghetti for this dish)
Fresh ground black pepper

(Optional)

Cheese – Parmesan if you are a stickler for authenticity or feta if you are feeling rebellious - I often am.

Start your pot with water and a generous portion of sea salt for the pasta. Omitting the salt here really messes things up – I usually put in a full tablespoon. Keep in mind, however, that if you add cheese it will kick up the saltiness of your dish*.

Use a big handful of parsley!

As this comes to a boil, wash and cut your zucchinis and parsley. Heat your olive oil on high and add the zucchini – I like to cook this on high for a good 8-10 minutes to create a nice browning on the vegetable. Once the zucchini starts to look transparent and delicious, add the chopped parsley, stir it up and shut off the heat.

Yummy golden bits

By now your water should be boiling with the pasta cooking. Cook according to the package directions and to your taste. I prefer my pasta al dente, so I watch it closely to make sure it doesn’t overcook. Drain your pasta and reserve some of the cooking water. Over low heat, add the pasta to the vegetables and mix together. Add a tablespoon of cooking water to thicken the “sauce” and add your black pepper. Now is when you may add your cheese if you wish. Serve and enjoy! 

Love it!


*Sometimes I have added too much salt to the water, but you can always rinse the pasta to get some salt off if this happens to you. Try the pasta before you combine everything if you are worried about saltiness. 

3 comments:

  1. Your post made me laugh so hard - it brought back one of my favorite memories from the first year of my marriage (ie. last year)

    I was making basically the same pasta, and on any given day, I'm a pretty decent cook. This particular recipe I found online, and after going through my ingredients, I realized I had no fresh parsley - but I did find the handy bottle that I keep up in my spice cupboard.

    So, I'm looking at my dry parsley and thinking, "It sure looks finely chopped to me!" so I made an executive decision and subsituted it for the fresh - I believe it called for a 1/4 cup of fresh so that's exactly how much I used of the dry.

    Holy moly! It was so ridiculously strong, my husband and I couldn't even get through 3 bites before we had to stop. To this day, it's the only inedilbe thing I've ever made! Completely unfit to eat! lol!

    Haha, for the first few bites, he was trying so hard not to make a face and not to say anything, until he realized that it was just impossible! :)

    Thanks for the 'belly laugh' today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo! Your comment made ME laugh like crazy! I can totally relate to your experience - I have cooked quite a few crappy meals since saying "I do". Something about those two words did something to my ability to cook! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever it comes to pass, I'm expecting the word 'motherhood' to have that same effect on me... think cut-up hot dogs in macaroni! lol

    ReplyDelete