Sunday, April 25, 2010

Favourite Things

Spidey from Spider Woman Knits asked her readers about their favourite vintage items. Here are a few things I haven’t packed away yet! I really enjoyed photographing my special pieces.

This is a tray my Mother found at a local Goodwill. I believe it is carnival glass. I love the flowers, they remind me of sunflowers. Although they remind me now of dahlias too! I would love to find out more about this dish.


This is a hooked rug I bought a few years ago in Cape Breton Island visiting my Grandmother. The man who sold it to me is a collector of rugs himself.  He said this rug dates to 1920's. It was torn and dirty when I bought it but  the roses were so pretty I couldn't resist. When my Grandmother saw this she told me all about the hooked rugs she had grown up with.  This pattern was familiar to her. 


This is a beaded necklace my other Grandmother sent to me many years ago before she died. They look like cloisonnĂ© and the clasp is my favourite part. 


This is a cute kitty shaped key-holder. I've treasured it since I was a child. It is my Mother's. 

This is a teacup and saucer I bought in Cambridge, the city my Mother was born in, I love the cheerful yellow with the orange bouquets.


This is something very special to me. It belonged to my Grandmother. My Mom found it in her home after she died. I had been telling Mom how much I wanted a tray/cup combo like this I saw at Ikea. Then she came home with this beautiful piece, much better than anything Ikea could produce. I happen to love bids so this couldn't be more perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment