Sunday, March 28, 2010

A washing machine to call my own

I’m getting married in less than two months, and there is a lot to keep me up at night. When D. and I decided to get married last April, his job was on shaky ground. Little did I know how shaky. I thought that his company would be downright idiotic to consider laying him off. Turns out they were and they did. He got the axe about three days after putting down a sizeable and non-refundable deposit on the Ring of my Dreams. In shock, I told him to call and explain, and perhaps get his money back. And because he is who he is, he said, “why would I do that?” as if I had asked him cut off his left hand.



To delay our wedding was thus deemed impossible, and so we’ve gone forward, business as usual. Some people think we are crazy. I think we are crazy from time to time. Especially now, a year later with the wedding staring us down, and there is no job lining his pockets twice a month. Severance and EI have come in handy, but there is an undeniable question – Where will we live?

Currently I live at home and he lives at home. We want to begin our marriage in a place of our own. Our goal is to buy a house but that seems like an impossible dream at this point. So I lie awake at night thinking about what may be.

Doing laundry today and I wondered where I would be washing our clothes. I never thought I would be concerned about something as dull as laundry, but there you go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment